Wednesday, March 30, 2011

White and Light

The other day I was reminded of a project I had to do during my first year of DAAD (digital art and design) in my digital photography course. I thought the course was a bit of a joke...as far as artistic composition and photography skills it taught me nothing. 
As is often the case, however, the value of that part of my education has only become clearer over time. I was taught about the technical side of exposure, aperature, and shooting in manual mode, all of which had been completely foreign up to that point. Most of what I learned in that course only made sense to me afterwards, as I really began to experiment with my (at that time) Canon powershot S5IS. Followed by my Rebel XSi, my work Olympus E1 (good old boy) and my new work Nikon D7000. (I'm slowly making my way up, i have my sights set on the top ;)
Back to my university project: We were challenged to take both a "low key" and a "high key" image (Low key being very dark, high key very light) with as much detail as possible. I ended up shooting a random assortment of jewelery, shoe-laces, and broken pottery in an attempt to create an interesting composition, and the result isn't worth even digging up. At the time, I had no concept of "making" a picture. Using light, movement, creating composition rather than finding it...
The point: look at my fun high-key image I took in the studio the other day! Simple, boring...yet lovely...
 

No comments:

Post a Comment