Monday, April 30, 2012

On Repeat

I seriously hesitate to say this: but I'm going to try and start something.

:O

I am notorious for starting things and never following through. Except...I'm mostly only notorious in my own mind, because most of the things I start don't even make it out of my head. What I KNOW about myself is that I get carried away wanting to accomplish these things that don't have anything to do with me. Like wanting to start an etsy store, or build furniture, or have a photography business...all things that I only wanted because someone else had them. Thankfully in all these cases I realized before even reaching "start" that they weren't for me. I don't have anything to sell on etsy, nothing about building furniture appeals to me, and starting a photography business...? Well let's just say I'll leave that one up to everyone else. The point here is, I'm going to tell you about this new thing I'm starting, but there is a very real chance it won't last very long. I'm just being honest!!

Last week I was thinking about how much I like patterns (I REALLY like patterns) and I started lamenting how I can't ever seem to come up with cool patterns. But then I realized that I only ever try when its crunch time and I've already seen another pattern that would work and just want to re-create it but not copy it... Usually I fail and end up purchasing that pattern. Or just trashing the pattern idea (the hard thing about patterns is that the really cool ones don't really work as supportive elements...they need to be the focal point!).

Suddenly it dawned on me that I don't need to give up on pattern making. Its not like its something you're born with... "those with blue eyes stand on the left and those with pattern making on the right..." its something you can learn, study, and get better at. Or so I think. So my plan is to start making patterns for the sake of making patterns. I think I get so excited about this idea because a pattern isn't JUST a pattern. It's character creating and form studies and colour theory and balance and organization all in one! So ANYWAY, here is my first pattern, based on this adorable ceramic owl I saw at the garden store the other day. I still might have to go back and get it.


Maybe if I do keep it up for a while, I'll be able to look back on my patterns and see what I've learned. The owls on repeat are pretty basic...I'm pretty sure I can get more creative. Yay!

2 comments:

  1. Hmm... perhaps wallpaper design is in your future!? Or is that a bit limited. Yeah... a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha well if I can get one room covered in little owls I think my life will be complete. :D lol!!

    ReplyDelete